Current Listening

Home Forums Current Listening Current Listening

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    hjr
    Keymaster

In these pages, I’ll post the album art and list of performers associated with whatever I’m listening to at the time. If something about the performance sticks out as worthy of comment, I’ll comment on it too! My latest ‘listens’ will appear at the end of the list (it’s the way the website software works, I’m afraid).

Note that a searchable, re-orderable text listing of my music ‘plays’ is accessible on this page.

Also note that graphical representation of listening statistics are available on this page (for all data since 9th January 2021) and on this one (for data from the last seven days only).

On the whole, most of my music ‘plays’ are performed by AMP in its randomised mode: I have little to no control over what pops up, or in what order. Which is how I like it (otherwise, I tend to be a creature of habit and choose the same stuff over and over again!). If I mention ‘the randomiser’, that’s what I’m referring to. If I mention specifically choosing something to play, it means I temporarily over-rode the randomiser and decided to make AMP do my own bidding 🙂

Potentially, because I listen to lots of different music throughout the day, these pages are more of a ‘blog’ than the blog pages, which get updated once a week if we’re lucky! Here, there’ll be multiple updates every day, assuming I’m actually listening to music and not just sleeping something off and hoping my head puts itself back together at some point!

hjr
    Keymaster

Reinhard Keiser’s Der geliebte Adonis
    Thomas Ihlenfeldt, Capella Orlandi Bremen, Marietta Zumbült (Venus), Ralf Popken (Adonis), Susanna Rydén (Eumene)

hjr
    Keymaster

William Walton’s The First Shoot             
    London Collegiate Brass

hjr
    Keymaster

Georg Christoph Wagenseil’s Trombone Concerto in E flat major                                        
    Jan Willem de Vriend, Combattimento Consort Amsterdam, Jörgen van Rijen (trombone)

This is an exceptionally fine disk, with many wonderful, attractive trombone/brass showpieces included.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hjr.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by hjr.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by hjr.
    hjr
    Keymaster

William Byrd’s The Keyboard Music of William Byrd, Vol. 3                                 
    All played on the Ahrend organ of l’Église-Musée des Augustins, Toulouse

hjr
    Keymaster

Henri Dumont’s Cantica Sacra                  
    René Depoutot, Concert Royal de Nancy

hjr
    Keymaster

Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber’s Requiem à 15 in Concerto
    Jordi Savall, Le Concert des Nations
    Duration: 00:44:31

A requiem that’s sonically somewhat out of the ordinary (or is that just because it was recorded in Salzburg Cathedral, with what sounds like a wonderfully resonant acoustic?) For whatever reasons: it is a rather splendid way to send someone off on their final journey over the Styx!

hjr
    Keymaster

László Lajtha’s Symphony ‘Les Soli’      
    Simone Fontanelli, Budapest Chamber Symphony Orchestra
    Duration: 00:31:31

Strange sounds. Definitely ‘modern’, but spooky, eerie and fundamentally very tonal.

hjr
    Keymaster

Georgy Sviridov’s Snowstorm
    Vladimir Fedoseyev, Tchaikovsky Symphony Orchestra of Moscow Radio
    Duration: 00:29:24

Soviet realism writ big, bold and brassy! Love it!

hjr
    Keymaster

Peter Sculthorpe’s Djilile    
    Geoffrey Tozer (piano)
    Duration: 00:05:58

hjr
    Keymaster

Arthur Bliss’s The Beatitudes                                                                                                                                        
    Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Symphony Chorus, Emily Birsan (soprano), Ben Johnson (tenor)
    Duration: 00:51:18

hjr
    Keymaster

James Horner’s Titanic
    James Horner
    Duration: 01:12:29

Not really classical music at all, but a fine, sweeping orchestral score that wordlessly narrates a tale that has fascinated for more than a century. The big song sung by Celine Dione (or someone else with a giant, screechy, shouted soprano voice) is unfortunate, however!

hjr
    Keymaster

Antonín Dvořák’s Symphony No. 5   
    Witold Rowicki, London Symphony Orchestra
    Duration: 00:37:01

Pleased to see that these recordings got David Hurwitz’s thumbs-up in his most recent video blog review. It is always nice to feel vindicated in ones choices from years ago! (I don’t think he mentions in his review, but these recordings all date from somewhere between 1965 and 1971: they sound excellent, though, regardless).

hjr
    Keymaster

Manuel de Falla’s La Meunière et le Corregidor            
    Josep Pons, Orquestra de Cambra Teatre Lliure
    Duration:     00:45:27

hjr
    Keymaster

Erkki-Sven Tüür’s Dedication                                       
    Marrit Gerretz-Traksmann (piano), Leho Karin (cello)
    Duration:     00:07:03

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 246 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.