Current Listening

Home Forums Current Listening Current Listening

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 254 total)
  • Author
    hjr
    Keymaster

Scott Joplin’s Piano Rags                                                                                                                                                                             
    Roy Eaton (piano)
    Duration:    01:02:24

There is a limit on how much solo piano music I can put up with at a single sitting, and I rather suspect this CD may be somewhere quite close to it, if not actually well past the point of no return! Bright nuggets of wonder are embedded in quite a lot of so-so, too, which doesn’t help! Not-so-thank-you Randomiser!

hjr
    Keymaster

Johan Halvorsen’s Symphony No. 2 ‘Fatum’        
    Neeme Järvi, Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra
    Duration:    00:27:59

hjr
    Keymaster

Georg Philipp Telemann’s Schwanengesang
    Michael Schneider, La Stagione Frankfurt
    Duration:    00:44:39

I confess that whenever I contemplate playing some Telemann, there’s a sort of sigh that goes on in my mind. He wrote acres of music, and none of it seems terribly distinctive to me, let alone memorable. So my mind thinks, ‘O Lord, not again!’. Except this piece, selected by the Randomiser, turns out to be wonderfully inventive and distinctive -and on a par with Bach’s BWV 106 (the Actus Tragicus, intended for performance at a funeral, as this piece was, too). I tend to judge funeral music by whether I fancy it being played at mine: this definitely passes that test!

hjr
    Keymaster

Edmund Rubbra’s Cello Sonata Op. 60
    Paul Watkins (cello), Huw Watkins (piano)
    Duration:    00:22:36

hjr
    Keymaster

Manuel Cardoso’s Motets                                                                                                                                                                               
    Peter Phillips, The Tallis Scholars
    Duration:    00:23:01

hjr
    Keymaster

Anton Bruckner’s Symphony No. 5   
    Wolfgang Sawallisch, Bayerisches Staatsorchester
    Duration:    01:16:47

This was mentioned in David Hurwitz’s most recent video about the ‘ideal Bruckner symphony cycle‘, as his selection for ‘ideal 5th Symphony’. The acoustics/sonics of the brass section, in particular, are exemplary in this recording.

hjr
    Keymaster

https://absolutelybaching.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/11542/o1qj0jnp23je6orfnbekdxcracc3gvi4.jpg

Johann Sebastian Bach’s BWV 211 – Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht                                                                                                                                     
    Peter Schreier, Kammerorchester Berlin
    Duration:    00:28:56

hjr
    Keymaster

Vagn Holmboe’s Piano Concerto No. 1     
    Owain Arwel Hughes, Aalborg Symphony Orchestra, Noriko Ogawa (piano)
    Duration:    00:25:17

hjr
    Keymaster

Gustav Holst’s The Hymn of Jesus
    Charles Groves, London Philharmonic Orchestra, London Symphony Chorus, Choristers of St. Paul’s Cathedral Choir
    Duration:    00:22:11

There’s something very odd about this music: every time I hear it, I feel as if I’ve known it for centuries. Which is obviously completely bonkers, but I cannot shake the feeling that this music is somehow primæval and that it’s weirdly embedded in my DNA somehow. I don’t feel as if I’m listening to a performance of something, more like experiencing a revelation of something. It’s most odd. (But the music is sublime, I hasten to add). I would say that if push came to shove, I’d prefer Adrian Boult’s recording of it in 1962.

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9
    Günter Wand, NDR-Sinfonieorchester
    Duration:  01:06:20

hjr
    Keymaster

Anton Bruckner’s Symphony No. 6
    Stanislaw Skrowaczewski, Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Saarbrücken
    Duration:    00:56:51

This complete set of Bruckner symphonies conducted by ‘Stan the Man’, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski, is said by David Hurwitz to be the only current complete cycle of Bruckner’s symphonies that he finds to be without a weak performance anywhere. That’s not to say any of the performances of them are perfect or best-in-class for any given symphony, but that taken as a complete cycle, it’s the best currently on the market. Which is just as well, what with me having bought it and so on!

hjr
    Keymaster

Anton Bruckner’s Symphony No. 7                                     
    Riccardo Chailly, Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin
    Duration:    01:09:05

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 4                         
    Paavo Järvi, The Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen
    Duration:    00:31:06

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 6
    Günter Wand, NDR-Sinfonieorchester
    Duration:    00:44:48

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5                              
    John Eliot Gardiner, Orchestre Révolutionaire et Romantique
    Duration:    00:31:55

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 254 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.