Current Listening

Home Forums Current Listening Current Listening

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    hjr
    Keymaster

Arnold Schönberg’s Verklärte Nacht                          
    Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
    Duration:    00:30:07

hjr
    Keymaster

Benjamin Godard’s Piano Concerto No. 1  
    Martin Yates, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Victor Sangiorgio (piano)
    Duration:    00:29:24

hjr
    Keymaster

Johannes Brahms’ Symphony No. 4                
    Christian Thielemann, Dresden Staatskapelle
    Duration:    00:39:52

hjr
    Keymaster

Georg Muffat’s Apparatus Musico-Organisticus   
    René Saorgin (on the organ of Charles Boisselin de Malaucène)
    Duration:    01:16:06

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Italian Partsongs
    Heike Heilmann (soprano), Anne Bierwirth (alto), Daniel Johannsen (tenor), Manfred Bittner (bass)
    00:26:27

Beethoven having something of a reputation for being a brutal composer for the voice, I wouldn’t willingly have subjected myself to half an hour of his Italian part-songs! But the Randomiser does what it does so I don’t get to prejudge things that way 🙂 As it turns out, far from being a warning as to why buying ‘complete works’ boxed sets is maybe not such a good idea, these turn out to be quite attractive and definitely listenable. Characteristic Beethoven they are not, however!

hjr
    Keymaster

Jean Sibelius’ Piano Quartet in D minor
    Jaako Kuusisto (violin), Satu Vänskä (violin), Taneli Turunen (cello), Folke Gräsbeck (piano)
    Duration:    00:32:58

hjr
    Keymaster

Michel-Richard de Lalande’s Dominus regnavit
    Olivier Schneebeli, Collegium Marianum, Les Pages et les Chantres du Centre de musique baroque de Versailles
    Duration:    00:24:53

hjr
    Keymaster

Antonín Dvořák’s Symphony No. 9
    Lorin Maazel, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
    Duration:    00:41:52

hjr
    Keymaster

Percy Grainger’s Works for Multiple Pianos  
    Penelope Thwaites (piano), Wayne Marshall (piano), John Lavender (piano), Rhondda Gillespie (piano), Antony Gray (piano)
    Duration:    00:42:23

hjr
    Keymaster

François Couperin’s Les Nations             
    Jordi Savall, Hespèrion XX
    Duration:    01:49:48

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 6
    Otto Klemperer, The Philharmonia Orchestra
    Duration: 00:46:22

You know, some of the first classical music I ever heard must have been Beethoven’s 5th -and, guessing from when I was 5 or 6 years old, it’s quite possible that I was listening to one of these Klemperer recordings (though I doubt my father would have had such good taste, to be honest). Anyway: despite -or perhaps because of- that early introduction, I’ve never really loved Beethoven’s music. He’s only just about scraped into my Last.fm top 20, for example. But… but… there is only one symphony in all of classical music that has physically cheered me up when I was once in the middle of a bout of deep gloom or other: and that’s the sixth. And this recording of the sixth symphony has reminded me of that very distinctly, very tangibly. It is a gorgeous recording of it. It was mentioned as David Hurwitz‘s choice for ‘ideal 6th’ several months back, which is why I went and bought this complete Klemperer cycle, but by golly it’s extraordinary, with or without his endorsement! It’s warm, jovial, tuneful and perfectly paced. What utterly staggers me, however, is that it was recorded in 1957, in glorious-sounding stereo and with a ‘sound stage’ to die for: the violinists sound like they’re playing for me personally, in my study! Pause for a moment at that news: recorded before (just!) the Russians launched Sputnik; before the first man in space; before man landed on the Moon; before Watergate… several years before I was born, in fact… and yet it sounds as if it was recorded yesterday. I am astonished at the technical wizardry that has brought these recordings back to life. I can only point you to Amazon and tell you: you have to own this cycle.

hjr
    Keymaster

Gustav Holst’s The Planets
    Vernon Handley, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
    Duration:    00:49:18

One of the more hard-driven Planets I know of. By which I mean it is sonically and stereophonically wonderful (though, there’s an organ part which is seldom heard -and it took me listening to Dutoit’s 1986 recording with the Montreal Symphonic before that was brought out to glorious effect). It seems to me to be an incredibly exciting Planets, too. Never judge a Planets by Mars, but if Mars makes the back of your neck tingle, then we’re certainly on the way: this one does that in spades. I think the Venus is gorgeous, though: it’s not slow and langourous, but entirely and delightfully voluptuous. Mercury is fleet-footed but generous and warm, not skimpy and emaciated. Jupiter is a little flat-footed for me, but the timpani are great and the ‘big tune’ is done beautifully. A fairly average Saturn gives way to a thrilling Uranus, with a great timpani opening and excellent continuing percussion and harp throughout. His Neptune is one of the more exciting ones I can think of, too. No sloppy, ectoplasmic ethereality here! Anyway 9.5/10 from me for this one, I think. It is one of the best I know (Dutoit excepted).

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Piano Concerto No. 2                                            
    Maurizio Pollini (piano), Eugen Jochum, Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
    Duration:    00:28:50

Not a piano concerto I’m particularly familiar with: thank you Randomiser! (I don’t mean, ‘performance’, either. I mean, literally, I know the 3rd and 5th backwards, but seldom listen to the 2nd.)

hjr
    Keymaster

Franz Schubert’s Piano Trio D898
    Trio Wanderer
    Duration:    00:40:40

I have to say they don’t look like a classical trio! But they certainly sound like one!

hjr
    Keymaster

Ludwig van Beethoven’s Symphony No. 2
    Daniel Barenboim, Berliner Staatskapelle
    Duration:    00:34:42

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.